Time to move your house into trust territory - Mary Holm

Monday 23 February 2004

Q. If a house is left in a will to two children and they sell the house and divide the proceeds, can a proviso be included in the will to say that they must use the money in a particular way?

By The Landlord

A. In most cases, "if a proviso is professionally and specifically drafted to cover the wishes of the deceased, then the answer is yes," says Kevin Peacock, Public Trust's general manager, estate and financial planning. In other words, see a lawyer or the Public Trust.

It's possible, though, that the courts could overturn the proviso after you die, he adds. You could give yourself more control by setting up a family trust.

If you want your house to be protected by the trust, you lend the trust the money to buy the house at market value. You can then forgive the debt at the rate of $27,000 a year - or $54,000 for a couple - without paying gift duty.

Read More - Opens in a new window
Commenting is closed

Property News

Return to market form

There’s been a rallying of the market with the latest REINZ data showing both sales volumes and median house prices noticeably up with the onset of Spring.

House Prices

No stopping Capital price rises

There’s no sign of a slow-down in Wellington’s property prices with Trade Me Property’s latest data showing that asking prices continue to rise solidly.


NZ proptech start-up scores major investor

Auckland-based commercial property disrupter, Jasper, has raised $2.3 million in seed funding following investment from European asset manager M7 Real Estate.


LVR limits slow down investors

LVR speed limits continue to have a "strong effect" on investors, according to CoreLogic, after the latest Reserve Bank data showed a drop in investor borrowing.

Site by PHP Developer