No cover for many flood victims
Monday 23 February 2004
At least a quarter of those affected by last week's devastating floods have no insurance and no way of rebuilding their lives, the Insurance Council says.
By The LandlordThe floods are now considered by the Government to be the biggest natural disaster to have hit New Zealand since the 1931 Napier earthquake.
Government ministers are today expected to sign off a massive relief package, possibly worth more than $100 million. Some estimates put the total bill for damage as high as $300 million.
"We've had to bring in people from all over the country and we are the first ones to see what the damage is from a claims point of view, and it's extensive," said Insurance Council chief executive Chris Ryan. He warned there could be big problems re-housing people in smaller rural communities, particularly the 25 per cent without insurance.
Read More - Opens in a new window
Commenting is closed
It’s full steam ahead for the Stevenson Group’s $800 million, 361-hectare industrial and residential development in South Auckland – despite the uncertainties of the post-Covid-19 era.
Periods of house price decline are rare and "short-lived", says economist Tony Alexander, amid forecasts of a drop of 10%-15% this year.
The Reserve Bank says the commercial property sector is vulnerable to the Covid-19 crisis. But PMG Funds' chief executive believes that while there’ll be short-term pain, the biggest long-term impact will be structural change.
Mortgage lending fell to its lowest level on record last month as the property market ground to a halt during the Covid-19 lockdown.