Property problems: Lease terms the starting point for any dispute

Sunday 23 May 2004

Q. I own a multi-tenanted industrial complex at Mt Maunganui.

My father has been managing it for me while I am overseas and he has allowed one of the tenants to place a large container over part of his carpark and part of the access way.

I'm returning home and want to get the container moved from the site or charge them for leaving it there. Can I do this?

By The Landlord

br> A. The first step in solving any dispute between landlord and tenant is to refer to the provisions of your lease. The most common forms of commercial leases in New Zealand are:

* A "Boma" lease: which is a "landlord friendly" pre-printed form of lease used for large commercial centres.

* A modified Boma lease: many property owners/companies (in particular owners of large retail centres) have adopted their own modified form of the Boma lease; and;

* An Auckland District Law Society (ADLS) lease: a more "tenant friendly" pre-printed form of lease, historically used for smaller commercial premises or those not part of a retail or commercial centre.

Read More - Opens in a new window
Commenting is closed

Property News

Why the future is not bleak for the housing market

Uncertainty continues to cast its shadow over the housing market but economist Tony Alexander has put together a list of reasons which offset the negatives and mean the market remains well-supported.

House Prices

S&P forecast 10% house price fall

Global ratings agency Standards & Poors is the latest to join the chorus of predictions around potential house price falls in New Zealand – and they’re picking a 10% drop.


Advisers buoyed by strong property market

The New Zealand property market has emerged strongly out of lockdown, according to mortgage advisers, who say they are busy as ever this winter.

Site by PHP Developer