Dodgy developers may face jail - Govt
Monday 1 November 2004
Property developers who collapse their companies and avoid liabilities could be severely punished under proposed new laws, but that offers little solace for a group of Auckland homeowners.
By The LandlordThe Newmarket residents want to sue the developer of their apartment block, which was so badly struck by leaky home syndrome some balconies had to be pulled down. But they have been stymied because the firm no longer exists.
They cannot believe its directors - under a new company name - are now preparing to build again, right next door.
Such tactics are not uncommon in the building industry, but have been targeted by the Ministry of Economic Development as needing serious attention.
The government's proposals, which will not come into force until after 2006, include a blanket ban on directors quitting one company then starting another with a similar or the same name.
Under the proposals, directors who act against the interests of creditors could be liable for a fine of up to $200,000 or up to five years' prison.
Read More - Opens in a new window
Commenting is closed
It’s full steam ahead for the Stevenson Group’s $800 million, 361-hectare industrial and residential development in South Auckland – despite the uncertainties of the post-Covid-19 era.
Periods of house price decline are rare and "short-lived", says economist Tony Alexander, amid forecasts of a drop of 10%-15% this year.
The Reserve Bank says the commercial property sector is vulnerable to the Covid-19 crisis. But PMG Funds' chief executive believes that while there’ll be short-term pain, the biggest long-term impact will be structural change.
Mortgage lending fell to its lowest level on record last month as the property market ground to a halt during the Covid-19 lockdown.