Complex held up a year
Saturday 21 August 2004
Plans to build a 193-unit apartment block on Auckland's waterfront have been delayed nearly a year because of land, acoustic and design issues, the project's developer says.
By The LandlordSt Martins director Marty Kells wants Multiplex Construction to start building a six-level Richard Priest-designed apartment complex on a corner site opposite the new Foodtown on Quay St.
But he said the project had been held back since October last year due to difficulties obtaining titles to the land which St Martins was buying from Starline Group.
Negotiations with Auckland City Council's urban design panel over the block's design and dealings with lawyers acting for Ports of Auckland over acoustic issues due to the block's location near the container terminal, have caused holdups.
Kells said units had been sold for between $250,000 and $550,000. He said Extreme Realty's Peter Broughton took initial deposits for $17 million of units.
Read More - Opens in a new window
Commenting is closed
Periods of house price decline are rare and "short-lived", says economist Tony Alexander, amid forecasts of a drop of 10%-15% this year.
Tales of strife and problems abound in the commercial property world these days, but the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic has not been as devastating for all commercial players.
Mortgage lending fell to its lowest level on record last month as the property market ground to a halt during the Covid-19 lockdown.