Free advice for Landlords - ask our property experts a question

Do you have a property investment question you want answered? The Ask an Expert section is a free service provided for property investors in conjunction with a panel of selected property experts.

Please note that questions should be of a general nature about property investing and your question and the subsequent answer may be published in the NZ Property Investor magazine. There is a limit of ONE question per submission. We will use our discretion whether questions are published and we reserve the right to paraphrase your comments for our experts.

Before you send in a question, please read the Ask an Expert archive thoroughly. There is a chance that your question may have been previously answered and it will be listed there.

To ask a question, you will need to be a registered member (it's free).

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Property Management
Ask Bernard Parker from Quinovic Property Management questions relating to property panagement

Quinovic's outstanding people and systems provide the most professional, effective and reliable residential property management service in the NZ market for over 22 years.

Last answered question:

Spouting repair considerations

As a landlord do we have to fix a small leak in the spouting straight away? To fix it we would have to get scaffolding put up. When the house is vacant next  we plan to put double glazed windows in and as we would have to put scaffolding up to do this, so we would fix the spouting then. Or do we have to do it straight away?

Read on...
More Questions & Answers about Property Management »
Finance & Strategy
Ask Kris Pederson, director of Kris Pederson Mortgages questions relating to Mortgages, Finance, and Strategy

Kris is a respected commentator on the property and finance markets in New Zealand and overseas. He spends his time working closely with his support team sourcing clients leading edge finance strategies.

Last answered question:

Servicing equity

Having enough equity to go again is one thing, but being able to *service* that equity is something else! What is the best way to service equity in order to move on to another deal?



Read on...
More Questions & Answers about Finance & Strategy »
Ask Krister Samuel of Ray White City - Britomart questions relating to apartments investing

Krister is ranked in the top 1% of all real estate agents nationwide and specialises in the high yielding Auckland apartment market. He is happy to share insights and information on any aspect from an extensive knowledge base built up over a decade.

Last answered question:

Apartment insulation requirements

We moved into an apartment.

Before we moved in we weren't able to check the garage as the tenant showed us through and he wasn't very forth coming.

We took the place and I asked the property manager if it was possible to get the place insulated, as upon flat inspection, I noticed it wasn't.

He said he'd get back to me. (I put it in writing too.)

When the key hand over happened I asked again and he said the house isn't that cold. He was wrong. On our first night there it was freezing cold.

Is there any way to ensure this gets done? Surely a landlord would want to do this as an investment on their property and to ensure long term great tenants?


Read on...
More Questions & Answers about Apartments »
Ask Mark Withers, director of Withers Tsang & Co questions relating to Tax and Asset Structures

Mark Withers and his team at Withers Tsang & Co specialise in advising on property related transactions, valuation and restructure services and tax planning.

Last answered question:

GST sale considerations

Back in 2007, we bought a hotel apartment, GST included. We claimed the GST back at 12.5%. We have just sold the apartment in April 2016 to a non-registered GST buyer - again GST included.

Given that the GST is now 15%, how do we work out the GST payable ? Will the total sale amount be at 15% or will some still be at 12.5% ?

Read on...
More Questions & Answers about Tax/GST/LTC »
Ask Allan Galloway, Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment questions relating to tenants and landlords

The Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Last answered question:

Ending fixed term tenancies

I see you can break a fixed term tenancy if the house is uninhabitable, but what about if your flatmates are constantly having parties? There are house rules as part of the agreement with this tenancy which says if they are breached we will be given notice. This includes rules about parties and noise. My flatmates party almost every night and I awake to bottles on every surface in the lounge and kitchen and urine on the toilet floor. I have reported this repeatedly and have moved out now. But the property manager will not let me out of the lease. Do you have any advice please?

Read on...
More Questions & Answers about Tenancy »
Property Advice
Ask Ron Hoy Fong, director of Ronovationz for questions relating to investment strategy and property advice

Ron loves to share his passion for property and his coaching course provides one-on-one mentoring and support that will empower you with tools, strategies and valuable insights so you can achieve investment success and become a property master.

Last answered question:

Newbie tactics

Would it be a good move to get a 20% home loan and then, after three months or so, convert it to an investment property? What would be the advantages or disadvantages? Or would it be worthwhile waiting to save up for the 30% investment property in Auckland? This will be my first property purchase. I haven't purchased my home yet as I prefer living in the city. I just want to save on initial costs as I'd rather spend it on renovation.

Read on...
More Questions & Answers about Property Advice »
Ask Myles Noble from Crombie Lockwood questions relating to insurance

Last answered question:

Policy confusion

We have a rental property that was badly damaged in the Christchurch earthquakes. The tenants moved out to the sleepout and we claimed the full loss of rent for a year.

We had a lump sum policy that rolled over between the two earthquakes. There was major confusion with our policy and two years ago EQC and our insurer still believed that we were only entitled to one event claim, and there SOW's reporting show major complicity.

Our house is a two storey 1940 Villa that is not economical to repair. However, EQC say they can pay $240,000 one cap payment for September, then only $45,000 for February. Even though our insurer knows they have further liability they say they cant help unless EQC bring February up to cap.

As our policy rolled over and was increased we can, hopefully, claim the full amount again, as the house will be written off. My guestion is do we have a claim for continued loss of rent due to this EQC/insurer debacle? Can we claim loss of interest also?


Read on...
More Questions & Answers about Insurance »

Site by PHP Developer