Zones for market rent stats?

Question from Stephen updated on 7th September 2013:

The Department of Building and Housing publishes market rent statistics by suburb on its website based on data from bond lodgement forms. When I look at Hamilton's Dinsdale suburb, it's split between 'Dinsdale North/Nawton' and 'Dinsdale South/Frankton'. How do I find out the boundaries of those zones?

Our expert Alan Bruce responded:

The Department of Building and Housing is now part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE). The market rent regions on our website ( are based on Statistical Area Units (SAU) from the 2001 Census. They have been grouped together based upon Statistical Area Units with similar weekly rentals that are adjacent to one another. This website format was created in 2005. It is important to note that the regions are not an exact match to the Statistical Area Units from the 2006 Census or any other Census. Here is a table which states the areas that make up Hamilton - Dinsdale North/Nawton & Hamilton - Dinsdale South/Frankton MARKET RENT DESCRIPTION MAPPING CODE (SAU) AU NAME Hamilton - Dinsdale North/Nawton 528502 Brymer Hamilton - Dinsdale North/Nawton 528601 Dinsdale North Hamilton - Dinsdale North/Nawton 528501 Nawton Hamilton - Dinsdale South/Frankton 528602 Dinsdale South Hamilton - Dinsdale South/Frankton 529000 Swarbrick Statistics NZ have information available based on the latest census data. This can be viewed at: You may also wish to contact Statistics NZ for a 2001 version of a map. As the market rent figures provided on the Ministry’s website are based on data received as part of bonds that are lodged with the Ministry, they are intended to be used as a guide only. For more specific information regarding market rent in a particular area we suggest you contact a property valuer.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer