Who covers security costs?

Question from Judith updated on 26th November 2009:

My tenant has asked me whether I would install security stays on the windows so they can leave them open. It will cost around $200. Is this something the landlord should pay for, or should tenant contribute?

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

Landlords have an obligation to ensure premises are maintained in a reasonable state of repair, and comply with all the relevant health, safety, and building regulations. They also have an obligation to ensure the premises are reasonably secure.

Security stays on windows may be the landlord’s responsibility if they are required in order to ensure the landlord’s obligations are met. However, where the security stays are not necessary to meet these obligations, the landlord and tenant may wish to negotiate whether they will be provided, and who will cover the cost.

If you and your tenant can’t agree on whether security stays are required or not, and who will cover the cost, you could apply to the Tenancy Tribunal to resolve the matter. To discuss your situation further, or for advice and information about applying to the Tenancy Tribunal, you can contact the Department of Building and Housing on 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.



Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer