Who can advise me about property management issues?

Question from Glenn Moors updated on 8th April 2009:

We have just used a property manager to locate and conduct the checks on a tenant for our house. The tenant has paid the letting fee and rental, but we still do not have this deposited into our account. What can we do if this is not placed into our account before the loan payment goes out?

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

The Residential Tenancies Act 1986 applies only to the relationship between a tenant and landlord. It does not cover the relationship between a property owner and a property manager. I suggest that in the first instance you discuss this matter with your property manager. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, you may wish to seek independent legal advice from your local community law centre about whether you have any recourse against your property manager.

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer