What recourse do I have against poor property management?

Question from Darren updated on 29th August 2008:

I have had my house rented out through property management. There are holes drilled in the walls, dogs, door handles broken and the management didn't lock the house after the tenants handed back the keys. Carpets not cleaned, light fittings damaged. They have been behind in rent,which management have used the bond to pay me with, leaving no bond to fix damages and cleaning bills. Should the property management take responsibility? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

The Residential Tenancies Act only applies to the relationship between a tenant and landlord, and does not cover the relationship between property owner and property manager. I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from your local community law centre about whether your property manager can be held responsible for damage caused by the tenants.

The Landlords says...
You could contact the Independent Property Managers Association for more advice. http://ipma.nzpif.org.nz/

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.


Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer