Tenant flood damage

Geneva asks:
(updated on Monday, June 17th 2013)

I moved into a house and I think the owner knew it would flood but never told me. The first flood happened after some hard rain, destroying over a $1,000 worth of my stuff and then a second flood came. Who will reimburse me for all the things I’ve lost? The landlord made repairs but they didn’t work ... what should I do? Do I need a lawyer?

Our Experts Answer:

Unfortunately accidental loss can happen to anyone, even a tenant. Your best course of action is to always have your personal contents insured, which will also include some public liability in the event that your actions cause damage to someone else’s possessions, e.g. you left a pot on the stove which caused a fire. Unless you can prove categorically that the owner already had knowledge of flooding in the property and did not warn you, you may have trouble proving your case. If the landlord has made repairs and the problem is still occurring then you must advise the landlord as soon as possible.

Select Home Loans 4.29
HSBC Premier 4.39
ICBC 4.39
Heartland Bank - Online 4.40
China Construction Bank Special 4.45
SBS Bank Special 4.55
Kainga Ora 4.57
Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 4.75
TSB Special 4.85
AIA 4.85
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.85
Select Home Loans 4.86
Heartland Bank - Online 4.90
TSB Special 4.99
ICBC 5.09
HSBC Premier 5.15
SBS Bank Special 5.19
China Construction Bank Special 5.19
AIA 5.35
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 5.35
First Credit Union Special 5.45
Unity 5.55
Select Home Loans 5.20
HSBC Premier 5.89
ICBC 5.89
SBS Bank Special 5.95
TSB Special 5.99
BNZ - Classic 6.19
Kiwibank Special 6.29
Resimac 6.33
China Construction Bank Special 6.35
Westpac Special 6.39
Kainga Ora 6.43
Select Home Loans 4.09
Heartland Bank - Online 4.10
Pepper Money 4.49
Liberty 4.84
TSB Special 4.89
Kiwibank Special 5.00
ICBC 5.25
Kainga Ora 5.43
Kiwibank 5.50
China Construction Bank 5.50
Kiwibank - Offset 5.50