Should I set up LAQC if I take in a tenant?

Kate asks:
(updated on Tuesday, January 06th 2009)

I currently have a mortgage of approx $270,000, and was thinking of getting a flatmate. Would it be possible in this situation to set up a LAQC and claim back a portion of my tax based on having a tenant in the house. It's possible to claim back on the tax paid due to the income earned by a tenant but is there any point setting up a LAQC or would I have to move out entirely to qualify for this? Thanks

Our Experts Answer:

Where you have a flatmate, in a situation such as this, IRD does not require you to declare the income.  It also means that you can't claim any of the expenses, which would have to be apportioned as you can't claim 100% seeing as your flatmate is not taking over 100% of the house, just one bedroom and a portion of the common areas (eg bathroom, kitchen, lounge).  Putting the house into an LAQC would not really be an option because you also are living in the house.  Generally, you are better off by not declaring the income.

Kenina Court is a director of Acorn Solutions Limited, an accounting firm dedicated to working with clients to help them create wealth.  She is an avid property investor, entrepreneur and seminar presenter on asset protection and wealth strategies.


Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 2.09
HSBC Special 2.25
ICBC 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
AIA 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.29
SBS Bank Special 2.29
Westpac Special 2.29
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
AIA 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
HSBC Premier 2.89
TSB Special 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
SBS Bank Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43