Should I charge tenants for damage to property?

Wyman Inch asks:
(updated on Tuesday, May 20th 2008)

My property has sold and the tenants are currently looking for another place to rent. However they have marked the kitchen bench with a hot pot, and the walls have several scuff marks.
Do I charge them even though the place has sold as is, or ask them to fix?

Our Experts Answer:

Whether a landlord can require the tenant to repair damage, or to compensate the landlord for the damage, is likely to depend on when the damage occurred, and the terms of the sale and purchase agreement. If the landlord has suffered financial loss as a result of the damage (for example, the house has sold for less than it would have had the damage not existed), or if the new owner is expecting the damage to be repaired as part of the sale and purchase agreement, then the landlord may be able to ask the tenant for compensation or to repair the damage. I recommend that you also seek legal advice, either from your lawyer or from a Community Law Centre, about your obligations to the purchaser about the condition of the property.

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 2.09
HSBC Special 2.25
ICBC 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
AIA 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.29
SBS Bank Special 2.29
Westpac Special 2.29
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
AIA 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
HSBC Premier 2.89
TSB Special 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
SBS Bank Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43