Service for UK tenants requiring advice

Question from Anne Odeyemi updated on 23rd July 2007:

My landlord is trying to con me for £3,125.70 by giving me false quotations on repairs that were never carried on the property out. I have already contacted the builders. One said he carried out a job on the property but is of insignificant value. The other builder said he gave the quotation but cannot remember doing the job plus he said he was not VAT registered whereas my Landlord has included VAT in his letter to me demanding for payment. Do you know of any Landlords or Tenants Watchdog I can contact in London?

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

You may wish to contact “Shelter” - a London-based housing and homeless charity. Shelter has a comprehensive advice and support section online at and also offers email advice. You can also contact Shelter’s free housing advice helpline on 0808 800 444. Their advisers can give you immediate and practical assistance, as well as offer advice on your rights. They can also suggest specialist or local support services to help you longer term.

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer