Selling from overseas

Question from Ryan updated on 3rd April 2018:

I currently live in the UK and I've got an apartment in Wellington which I've rented out for the last 10 years or so. However, when I bought it I always intended to return to New Zealand to live in it. Now it has become obvious that this will never happen and with the UK economy and currency being so poor at the moment and the $NZ doing relatively well vs the GBP, I'm considering selling.

I can find lots of websites for helping people outside of New Zealand to buy, but no one who would provide practical information about people outside of New Zealand who wish to sell. Any information I can find is for people based in the the country.

How easy is it for me to sell - and can I conduct the whole transaction without having to return to Wellington? I realise that I'll have to give my current property managers/tenants notice and I’m happy about all this. I'm just looking for practical information about how to find a solicitor, appoint an estate agent, deal with finances (moving money) and the like.







Our expert Kris Pedersen responded:

You can do the whole process from overseas. In regards to solicitors and real estate agents, it's probably a case of looking to get a couple referred to you. You should then do your own due diligence on them to see which you feel most comfortable with or you could look at online reviews (Google and Facebook) which should give you an idea on whether customers are happy with them. I am happy to recommend people if you want to contact me. Alternatively, you may prefer to touch base with friends or family in New Zealand and take their advice.





Kris Pedersen of Kris Pedersen Mortgages is a commentator on property and finance. His team sources top finance strategies.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer