Retrospective insulation claim?

Question from Kate updated on 16th June 2017:

I would like to rent my property out shortly, but it is currently not insulated. Would I be able to retrospectively claim back the government subsidy if I had this work done before getting tenants?

Our expert Bernard Parker responded:

You should really direct this question to the Energy Efficiency Conservation Authority (EECA).

The funding subsidies available at present under the Warm Up New Zealand: Healthy Homes program are part of the Government’s plan to make rental properties warmer, healthier and safer. . The focus of the program is to make rental properties healthier for tenants, not to reward a landlord after the fact for having made the property warmer a few months earlier.

There are criteria applied for selecting tenants with low incomes. Also, the amount of funding available at any time depends on how much remains after previous up-take has been used from the fund. 

I suggest you check the information on the EECA website at and clarify for yourself. You can also contact EECA or an insulation supplier listed on the EECA website as an approved contractor.

Bernard is principal of Quinovic – Kapiti-Mana. Quinovic's outstanding people and systems provide the most professional, effective and reliable residential property management service in the NZ market for over 30 years.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer