Rent to buy information?

Question from Barry updated on 15th August 2012:

My tenant has expressed interest in puchasing the property they rent through a rent to buy scheme. Where can I find information on how these arrangements operate? My property is located in Kapiti but I now live permanently in Australia.

Our expert Megan Martin responded:

The Residential Tenancies Act 1986 only applies to the relationship between a landlord and tenant in respect of their residential tenancy. It does not apply to a sale and purchase arrangement. I suggest you seek independent legal advice from a solicitor or community law centre for information relating to a rent to buy arrangement.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer