Property management disputes

Question from Anita updated on 30th August 2018:

I have ended my agreement with my property manager as they have severely let us down with management services. There are a few issues (too many to list at the moment). Legally, how can I seek compensation from them for not doing their job correctly. Do I go through REINZ to lodge a dispute?

Our expert Bernard Parker responded:

You have a contract with your property manager. If you have a dispute which you cannot resolve, I suggest you lodge an application to the Disputes Tribunal. You will find the process on the Tribunal’s website at

Bernard is principal of Quinovic – Kapiti-Mana. Quinovic's outstanding people and systems provide the most professional, effective and reliable residential property management service in the NZ market for over 30 years.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer