Preventing a mess

Question from Richard updated on 15th February 2013:

I have regained possession of a property where a tenant had not paid rent for over eight-weeks and left it with considerable damage and mess. I have a Tenancy Tribunal hearing date and I have a log of unpaid rent and documentation along with photos of the mess and damage ready. But being new to the process, am I prepared enought? I’m also wondering about advice on preventing this from happening again?

Our expert Diane Nelson responded:

You will need to provide the Tenancy Tribunal with your 14-day notices as well as invoices for work carried out, inspection records to prove that the property was in a different condition when they moved in.  Having landlord Insurance which provides cover for loss of rent and intentional damage to the property would be advisable before you re-tenant the property, although you often can take it out even if you already have a tenant. There are a variety of policies available and it is advisable to ensure you compare apples with apples when buying to ensure you have the best cover.

Diane Nelson has over 14 years experience as a property manager in the Northland region. She now owns the REAL Landlord Insurance NZ Ltd brokerage and for over six years has specialised in the Landlord Preferred Policy,for investment owners who have their properties professionally managed. Diane also runs property management consultancy business Passionate about Property Management.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer