Overseas tax query

Question from Claudia updated on 3rd November 2017:

I live in New Zealand but have a property overseas. Do I have to include this income as "rental income" or "overseas income" on my IR3 tax return?


Our expert Mark Withers responded:

It should be shown as overseas income. This is because you are allowed to claim a credit in New Zealand for the tax already paid in the country where the income is derived, but this tax credit is limited to the tax rate applicable to your New Zealand income.

Mark Withers and his team at Withers Tsang & Co specialise in advising on property related transactions, valuation and restructure services and tax planning.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer