Overseas landlord?

Adriaan asks:
(updated on Tuesday, September 11th 2012)

If I am living overseas (in Australia), can I rent my property privately or does it legally have to be managed by a property manager/agency? How do I find information about this?

Our Experts Answer:

The Residential Tenancies Act requires that any landlord who is absent from New Zealand for more than 21 consecutive days must appoint a local agent. That agent then has all the rights and obligations of the landlord. Failure to appoint an agent in these circumstances is an unlawful act. Bearing this in mind, it would be foolish for you to appoint an agent (and for a person to accept appointment) who is unaware of a landlord’s rights and responsibilities. You should appoint an agent who will represent your best interests and will also be a responsible landlord. That person can be a private individual or the agent can be a professional property manager. The question that you should consider is “who will respond to a midnight maintenance call from a tenant?” Is that a task that you want to impose on a family member? If so, then go ahead. If not, then treat your property as a business and hire a professional manager. If you want further information you should look at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - Building and Housing website www.dbh.govt.nz

Select Home Loans 4.29
TSB Special 4.34
ICBC 4.39
HSBC Premier 4.39
Heartland Bank - Online 4.40
China Construction Bank Special 4.45
SBS Bank Special 4.55
Kainga Ora 4.57
Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 4.75
Kiwibank Special 4.85
AIA 4.85
Select Home Loans 4.86
Heartland Bank - Online 4.90
TSB Special 4.99
ICBC 5.09
HSBC Premier 5.15
SBS Bank Special 5.19
China Construction Bank Special 5.19
Kiwibank Special 5.19
AIA 5.35
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 5.35
First Credit Union Special 5.45
Select Home Loans 5.20
TSB Special 5.75
Kiwibank Special 5.79
HSBC Premier 5.89
ICBC 5.89
SBS Bank Special 5.95
BNZ - Classic 6.19
Resimac 6.33
China Construction Bank Special 6.35
Westpac Special 6.39
Kainga Ora 6.43
Select Home Loans 4.09
Heartland Bank - Online 4.10
Pepper Money 4.49
TSB Special 4.79
Liberty 4.84
Kiwibank Special 5.00
ICBC 5.25
Kainga Ora 5.43
China Construction Bank 5.50
Kiwibank 5.50
Kiwibank - Offset 5.50