Offsetting CGT in Australia

Question from michael updated on 4th July 2018:

I recently sold a apartment in Australia and will be up for capital gains tax. Can my rental losses from this property be used against the capital gain as I don't receive a income in Australia?

Our expert Mark Withers responded:

I believe there is an offset as the true gain on the asset can only be fairly determined by netting a gain from disposal off against the cost of retaining it.

Mark Withers and his team at Withers Tsang & Co specialise in advising on property related transactions, valuation and restructure services and tax planning.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer