My tenant died leaving damage, what can I do?

Susan asks:
(updated on Wednesday, December 10th 2008)

My tenant has passed away and has left some damage and some of his property. Is there any way I can be compensated for my losses?

Our Experts Answer:

I recommend contacting the tenant’s representative, if you know who this is. You could also try contacting a member of their family or any other person handling the deceased’s affairs. You can then try and negotiate about the damage and any outstanding rent as well as hand over the deceased’s possessions. You could also negotiate ending the tenancy if this has not yet occurred. If this does not resolve the situation, you could apply to the Tenancy Tribunal, seeking orders terminating the tenancy and for any outstanding rent, damages and for the disposal of any of the tenant’s possessions. You could also include an application for an order to recover the bond if this was paid. For more advice and information about when there is a death of a tenant during a tenancy, you can contact the Department of Building and Housing on 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 2.09
HSBC Special 2.25
ICBC 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
AIA 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.29
SBS Bank Special 2.29
Westpac Special 2.29
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
AIA 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
HSBC Premier 2.89
TSB Special 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
SBS Bank Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43