My rental bach was trashed, what can I do?

Question from karen updated on 4th June 2010:

Hi there. Interested in finding out what rights you have if you rent a bach out as a holiday rental and the tenants trash the place?

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

The Residential Tenancies Act 1986 (the Act) applies to residential tenancies only. It does not cover premises that are let for holiday purposes. Even if a residential tenancy is excluded from the Act, both parties can agree that the Act (or certain parts of the Act) applies. Where both parties agree that certain parts of the Act will apply to their situation (e.g. both parties agree to contract back into the Act), the details of that agreement should be clearly recorded on the tenancy agreement. Where the Act applies, tenants are responsible for any damage they cause carelessly or intentionally. 

 To discuss your situation further, or for advice and information about contracting back into the Act, you can contact the Department of Building and Housing on 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.


Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer