Multi-unit insurance option

Neil asks:
(updated on Monday, February 29th 2016)

I own a rental property in Auckland which comprises of two, two-bed units on one title.They have separate power/land lines but one council rate bill and one water bill. The units are currently insured as two separate houses, as instructed by the insurance company, for around $1100. Is it possible to reduce the cost by insuring as multi units?

Our Experts Answer:

My thoughts are that the house could be insured under one policy (as it is on one title) but needs to be noted as two units so the correct FSL and EQC levies can be charged. There would be a premium saving in doing this. However, the disadvantage is that any policy sub-limits that are not per unit but are per policy - e.g: hidden gradual damage would apply.

Select Home Loans 4.29
HSBC Premier 4.39
ICBC 4.39
Heartland Bank - Online 4.40
China Construction Bank Special 4.45
SBS Bank Special 4.55
Kainga Ora 4.57
Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 4.75
TSB Special 4.85
AIA 4.85
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.85
Select Home Loans 4.86
Heartland Bank - Online 4.90
TSB Special 4.99
ICBC 5.09
HSBC Premier 5.15
SBS Bank Special 5.19
China Construction Bank Special 5.19
AIA 5.35
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 5.35
First Credit Union Special 5.45
Unity 5.55
Select Home Loans 5.20
HSBC Premier 5.89
ICBC 5.89
SBS Bank Special 5.95
TSB Special 5.99
BNZ - Classic 6.19
Kiwibank Special 6.29
Resimac 6.33
China Construction Bank Special 6.35
Westpac Special 6.39
Kainga Ora 6.43
Select Home Loans 4.09
Heartland Bank - Online 4.10
Pepper Money 4.49
Liberty 4.84
TSB Special 4.89
Kiwibank Special 5.00
ICBC 5.25
Kainga Ora 5.43
Kiwibank 5.50
China Construction Bank 5.50
Kiwibank - Offset 5.50