Moving in with parents, LAQC or Trust for own home?

Question from Lucy updated on 20th April 2007:

We have 2 rental properties and 1 that we live in. The rental properties are in a LAQC and the one we live in is in a trust. However things have changed. We will be looking at moving in with my parents to help look after my dad. We would like to rent out the one we are in. Is it best to leave in the trust or change to LAQC? What do you suggest?

Our expert responded:

From a tax point of view, it is fine to leave the house in the trust as the interest on the loan will be tax deductible. However, if you think that you will not go back to your home to live, then depending on your circumstances, it may be appropriate to sell the house to your LAQC at market value, if you are wanting to maximise the tax effect. In answering the question, you will also need to consider what your long term financial goals are in relation to your property investing, as that will have some bearing on the question.

Kenina Court is a director of Acorn Solutions Limited, an accounting firm dedicated to working with clients to help them create wealth. She is an avid property investor, entrepreneur and seminar presenter on asset protection and wealth strategies.


Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer