Making conversion legal

Question from Andi updated on 28th October 2012:

My old bungalow was converted into two flats (with separate entry, kitchen and living areas) a few years ago. Is there anything I can do now to make them legal? 

Our expert Hamish Firth responded:

The answer will vary from council to council and may require resource consent (a type of 'retrospective' building consent). It will depend on a number of factors including density, parking and outdoor space along with fire and other building control regulations. Insurance companies may not pay out if works that were illegal may have caused damage. Tread with care.

Hamish Firth of Mt Hobson Group manages the Resource Consent application process and provides initial pre purchase advice to investors and developers.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer