Looking at Raglan

Anne Maree asks:
(updated on Tuesday, May 26th 2015)

I'm looking at my first property investment but am very cautious. I have a mortgage-free house but no cash. I’m 55 with one income of around $70,000. I’m considering a bach in Raglan as both a long-term investment and also for my own use (although it would need to be rented or partially rented).

Our Experts Answer:

Firstly you need to take some tax advice to understand the implications of purchasing a holiday home and how the changes to the tax rules in regards to this a couple of years back may affect you. Secondly you need to have a think about what you are wanting in an investment and what returns you are wanting to achieve and if a bach will give you this result. Or if another investment may be a better fit. Also if you do proceed with a purchase, rather than offering your current home and the purchase to one lender as security, look to raise a 20% deposit against your existing home with the remaining 80% raised through another lender. This way your two properties won’t be cross secured.

Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Westpac Special 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
BNZ - Classic 2.29
ASB Bank 2.29
ANZ Special 2.29
Kiwibank Special 2.35
ICBC 2.45
SBS Bank Special 2.49
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
ICBC 2.45
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.69
AIA 2.69
HSBC Premier 2.89
SBS Bank Special 2.99
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
TSB Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank 3.40
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
Heartland 3.95
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40