Investing from afar?

Question from Alan updated on 6th September 2012:

I currently live in Japan (I’m a UK tax resident). My son is currently at university in Auckland and I was thinking of buying a house for him and his friends to share. I don't have the time to visit and research fully so my question is, are there any agents who can source an appropriate property for me? I do not mean a normal real estate agent but someone who for a fee will get me a short list of properties based on criteria given. I may look to build a portfolio of rental properties as there are tax advantages to me in Japan.

Our expert Ron Hoy Fong responded:

More information is needed in regards to the type of property you require i.e. house, flat, unit or apartment? Isit for cashflow or capital gain? Until this is identified it would be difficult to find what property you want. To answer your question, yes there are people who will do property finding for a fee. However, before taking this step I highly recommend that you talk to an experienced property coach who can give you the appropriate advice of property investing in NZ to meet your goal and objectives. It will be difficult if not risky to invest in NZ properties at a distance without first knowing the areas to invest in. I suggest your son could be involved in properties here whilst attending university and that he be your eyes and ears to do the due diligence of each purchase. If you wish, I suggest you have him contact me.

Ron loves to share his passion for property and his coaching course provides one-on-one mentoring and support that will empower you with tools, strategies and valuable insights so you can achieve investment success and become a property master.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer