Insurance for tenants

Laura asks:
(updated on Friday, September 28th 2018)

I'm trying to find contents insurance as a renter that would cover my contents as well as any carpet damage caused by myself or my cat. Any suggestions / advice?

Our Experts Answer:

You cannot insure your landlord’s goods. Your contents policy will most probably allow you to claim only for your own possessions in the event of loss or damage. However, your contents policy may have some additional Personal Liability cover that can allow for situations where other insured people want to make a claim against you. In such instances they make a claim against their own insurance policy, and their insurance company will deal with your insurance company to recover their claim.

The Court of Appeal decision in Holler & Rouse v. Osaki ruled that residential tenants are entitled to the same protection as that available to commercial tenants. This means that, if you damage the carpet and the landlord has insurance, then you are not liable for damage that you (or your cat) caused unintentionally. However, if you do have Contents insurance with additional Personal Liability cover, you may well be protected in cases where your landlord doesn’t have insurance. (I expect such cases would be rare, as most sensible landlords should have insurance cover.) In any case, I suggest you talk with your insurance company to get professional advice.

Select Home Loans 4.29
HSBC Premier 4.39
ICBC 4.39
Heartland Bank - Online 4.40
China Construction Bank Special 4.45
SBS Bank Special 4.55
Kainga Ora 4.57
Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 4.75
TSB Special 4.85
AIA 4.85
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.85
Select Home Loans 4.86
Heartland Bank - Online 4.90
TSB Special 4.99
ICBC 5.09
HSBC Premier 5.15
SBS Bank Special 5.19
China Construction Bank Special 5.19
AIA 5.35
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 5.35
First Credit Union Special 5.45
Unity 5.55
Select Home Loans 5.20
HSBC Premier 5.89
ICBC 5.89
SBS Bank Special 5.95
TSB Special 5.99
BNZ - Classic 6.19
Kiwibank Special 6.29
Resimac 6.33
China Construction Bank Special 6.35
Westpac Special 6.39
Kainga Ora 6.43
Select Home Loans 4.09
Heartland Bank - Online 4.10
Pepper Money 4.49
Liberty 4.84
TSB Special 4.89
Kiwibank Special 5.00
ICBC 5.25
Kainga Ora 5.43
Kiwibank 5.50
China Construction Bank 5.50
Kiwibank - Offset 5.50