How do I resolve disputes with my landlord?

Question from Kelly updated on 6th May 2008:

In 2006 I had a fixed term tenancy agreement signed with X. In 2007 I received an identical agreement but did not intend to have a fixed term tenancy so did not sign it. Instead I gave the required 21 days notice when I planned to move. X argues my actions illustrate intent to agree to fixed term tenancy. That was not my intention as I was moving in November and was simply waiting for X to contact me when I did not return the original agreement and when he did not I assumed my residency on a periodic basis was fine.

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

If you are unable to resolve the current status of your tenancy (ie if it is fixed-term or periodic) with your landlord, then it will need to be addressed either at mediation or at a Tenancy Tribunal hearing. For advice and information about making a Tenancy Tribunal application contact the Department of Building and Housing on 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer