How do I lay a complaint against a Property Manager?

Peter asks:
(updated on Wednesday, December 14th 2011)

If a Property Manager is not a MREINZ member, is it possible to lay a complaint against the Property Manager?

Our Experts Answer:

The first course of action in all cases should be to talk with your property manager. Many difficulties and misunderstandings can be resolved by communication. However, if issues remain unresolved, you have another option available to you, depending on whether you are a tenant or a landlord. A tenant’s dispute process is governed by the Residential Tenancies Act.

All tenancy disputes are handled by the Tenancy Tribunal. Call 0800 TENANCY to speak to a tenancy advisor, or look at for information.

A landlord’s relationship with a property manager is a contractual one It is not subject to tenancy legislation. If you are unable to resolve a dispute with your property manager you have the Disputes Tribunal available to hear the dispute. The process is inexpensive and reasonably prompt, and the mediator is able to make a ruling if you are unable to reach agreement.

Quinovic's outstanding people and systems provide the most professional, effective and reliable residential property management service in the NZ market for over 22 years.

Select Home Loans 4.29
TSB Special 4.34
ICBC 4.39
HSBC Premier 4.39
Heartland Bank - Online 4.40
China Construction Bank Special 4.45
SBS Bank Special 4.55
Kainga Ora 4.57
Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 4.75
Kiwibank Special 4.85
AIA 4.85
Select Home Loans 4.86
Heartland Bank - Online 4.90
TSB Special 4.99
ICBC 5.09
HSBC Premier 5.15
SBS Bank Special 5.19
China Construction Bank Special 5.19
Kiwibank Special 5.19
AIA 5.35
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 5.35
First Credit Union Special 5.45
Select Home Loans 5.20
TSB Special 5.75
Kiwibank Special 5.79
HSBC Premier 5.89
ICBC 5.89
SBS Bank Special 5.95
BNZ - Classic 6.19
Resimac 6.33
China Construction Bank Special 6.35
Westpac Special 6.39
Kainga Ora 6.43
Select Home Loans 4.09
Heartland Bank - Online 4.10
Pepper Money 4.49
TSB Special 4.79
Liberty 4.84
Kiwibank Special 5.00
ICBC 5.25
Kainga Ora 5.43
China Construction Bank 5.50
Kiwibank 5.50
Kiwibank - Offset 5.50