How do I enforce debt recovery from former tenants?

Danella McCormick asks:
(updated on Friday, September 12th 2008)

Hi I had some tenants who moved without paying rent, I went to Tenancy services and was awarded the money, then chased it through the Ministry of Justice who sent a Bailiff to assess the tenants who basically said they can't afford to pay. Where do I go from here?

Our Experts Answer:

If a landlord has a Tenancy Tribunal order establishing a debt, and is not able to arrange for payment of the debt with the tenant directly, they may enforce the order through private debt collection agencies or through the Collections Unit of the District Court. There are several types of proceedings available through the Collections Unit for enforcement of monetary orders, some of which may be appropriate if your tenant is not able to repay the full debt immediately. As you have already started enforcement proceedings with the Collections Unit, I suggest that you speak with them further about the options for enforcing the debt. Alternatively, you may wish to speak to private debt collection agencies to find out about the services they can provide.

Landlords recommends: DBH has a new information pack or CD called Get It Right - A landlord's guide to practical property management. You can download a copy here:

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.



Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 2.09
HSBC Special 2.25
ICBC 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
AIA 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.29
SBS Bank Special 2.29
Westpac Special 2.29
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
AIA 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
HSBC Premier 2.89
TSB Special 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
SBS Bank Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43