How can I recover rent arrears?

Question from Ariya Randeni updated on 17th December 2008:

If the Tenant leaves the property without paying the rent in arrears how can I recover it?

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

If the tenancy has ended with rent outstanding, I suggest contacting the tenant to recover any arrears owing. If you are unable to resolve this matter with the tenant, you could apply to the Tenancy Tribunal seeking an order for any outstanding rent. You could also include an order to recover the bond if this was paid. If you would like to further discuss your situation, or you need more advice and information about making a Tenancy Tribunal application, you can contact the Department of Building and Housing on 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer