Friend as property manager?

Basim asks:
(updated on Monday, December 23rd 2019)

I have an investment property which I have always managed by my self. But I am now planning to go overseas for more than three months. Can I ask a friend to look after the property for me or do I need to engage a property manager?

Our Experts Answer:

Yes, you can ask a friend to look after the property. You do not have to hire a professional. The Residential Tenancies Act requires (section 16A) that a landlord must have agent if he/she is or will be out of New Zealand for longer than 21 consecutive days. The purpose is to have a local representative who can carry out your duties while you are overseas. You will have to notify the tenant and the Bond Centre about the change of contact. (The friend will have to be empowered to sign off the tenant’s bond if appropriate.) I suggest you look at Section 16A and ensure you complete all the necessary notifications.

Select Home Loans 4.29
TSB Special 4.34
ICBC 4.39
HSBC Premier 4.39
Heartland Bank - Online 4.40
China Construction Bank Special 4.45
SBS Bank Special 4.55
Kainga Ora 4.57
Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 4.75
Kiwibank Special 4.85
AIA 4.85
Select Home Loans 4.86
Heartland Bank - Online 4.90
TSB Special 4.99
ICBC 5.09
HSBC Premier 5.15
SBS Bank Special 5.19
China Construction Bank Special 5.19
Kiwibank Special 5.19
AIA 5.35
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 5.35
First Credit Union Special 5.45
Select Home Loans 5.20
TSB Special 5.75
Kiwibank Special 5.79
HSBC Premier 5.89
ICBC 5.89
SBS Bank Special 5.95
BNZ - Classic 6.19
Resimac 6.33
China Construction Bank Special 6.35
Westpac Special 6.39
Kainga Ora 6.43
Select Home Loans 4.09
Heartland Bank - Online 4.10
Pepper Money 4.49
TSB Special 4.79
Liberty 4.84
Kiwibank Special 5.00
ICBC 5.25
Kainga Ora 5.43
China Construction Bank 5.50
Kiwibank 5.50
Kiwibank - Offset 5.50