Formal process to end fixed-term tenancy?

Question from Karen updated on 9th November 2012:

I would like to know if there is an offical process to ending a fixed-term tenancy by mutual agreement. Are there any forms? Or is it something that both parties agree to, write down and all sign? Also, does it override the fixed-term tenancy conditions?

Our expert Juliet Robinson responded:

There are no form requirements for ending a tenancy by agreement. A periodic tenancy can be terminated by notice from one party, but a fixed-term tenancy requires agreement between the parties to change the original end date. The agreement specifying that the tenancy will terminate on the agreed date should be recorded in writing and signed by both parties (tenant and landlord). It would be sensible to include in your agreement a statement that “all other conditions of the tenancy remain unchanged”, so that it is clear that only the ending date is to change.

Quinovic's outstanding people and systems provide the most professional, effective and reliable residential property management service in the NZ market for over 22 years.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer