Foreign owned property

Jeff asks:
(updated on Friday, April 20th 2012)

I am a Hong Kong resident looking to buy an apartment in New Zealand. My mortgage will be in Hong Kong and I will be renting out the property and paying for management. Do I have to pay New Zealand income tax on the rent?

Our Experts Answer:

Despite you being a non resident you must declare income derived in New Zealand on an IR3NR non resident tax return filed in New Zealand. You will be able to deduct the interest paid on the Hong Kong mortgage against the rental income though. If there is a profit tax will be payable in New Zealand. If the mortgage is secured aginst the New Zealand property there will also need to be a registration for approved issuer levy as an alternative to the non resident witholding tax regime that applies to the interest costs of foriegn borrowings.

Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Westpac Special 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
BNZ - Classic 2.29
ASB Bank 2.29
ANZ Special 2.29
Kiwibank Special 2.35
ICBC 2.45
SBS Bank Special 2.49
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
ICBC 2.45
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.69
AIA 2.69
HSBC Premier 2.89
SBS Bank Special 2.99
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
TSB Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank 3.40
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
Heartland 3.95
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40