Flood damage liability

Glenn asks:
(updated on Wednesday, October 17th 2018)

The header tank in my rental property broke resulting in some damage to the property. During the flooding the tenant's radio and mobile were damaged along with quite a lot of food. The tenant was put up in a Holiday Park for the duration of the repairs (three nights), and also given a $120 gift card for a supermarket. But the tenant is claiming the ruined food came to much more than $120. They are also asking for their radio & mobile to be replaced. Who is responsible please for these items? The tenant has personal contents insurance.


Our Experts Answer:

You cannot make an insurance claim against your policy for a tenant’s loss. The tenant is responsible for insuring their own goods. It appears that they have insurance cover on their possessions and so there should not be a problem in them claiming for their loss against their own policy.

Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 2.09
HSBC Special 2.25
ICBC 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
AIA 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.29
SBS Bank Special 2.29
Westpac Special 2.29
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
AIA 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
HSBC Premier 2.89
TSB Special 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
SBS Bank Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43