Enforcement procedures for debtor leaving NZ

Question from Trevor updated on 5th December 2006:

I hear that there are new enforcement procedures that can prevent a debtor leaving the country if an order has been made by the tribunal. I can't seem to locate any information on the procedures or if in fact this is now law... can you advise

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

The Collections Unit of the Ministry of Justice is responsible for the collection and enforcement of fines and civil debts (including orders of the Tenancy Tribunal). For information on the new enforcement procedures, go to www.justice.govt.nz/ministry/collections or free phone 0800 408 409 for advice and information on the collection and enforcement process.

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer