Enforcement of Tenancy Tribunal Orders

Chris asks:
(updated on Thursday, November 18th 2010)

I have a court order against an ex tenant for rent owed and damages. They so far have been unable to be located to serve the court order, however I have now tracked them down to Brisbane, Australia. Is there anyway I can get my money back and ensure they are added to a Australian bad tenant database?

Our Experts Answer:

Enforcement of Tenancy Tribunal Orders falls within the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice (MOJ). The Collections Unit within MOJ can only enforce a Tenancy Tribunal Order where the debtor is in New Zealand, as the summons needs to be served upon the debtor in person. If the debtor returns to New Zealand and you have a current address where they can be served, you can contact the Collections Unit at your local District Court to start enforcement proceedings.

Alternatively you may wish to consider contacting a debt-collection agency to see if they are able to assist you. To discuss your situation further, or for information about enforcement of Tenancy Tribunal orders, you can visit the Department of Building and Housing website (http://www.dbh.govt.nz/enforcing-sealed-order), or call 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.


Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 2.09
HSBC Special 2.25
ICBC 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
AIA 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.29
SBS Bank Special 2.29
Westpac Special 2.29
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
AIA 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
HSBC Premier 2.89
TSB Special 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
SBS Bank Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43