Electrical appliance safety for rental properties

Steve asks:
(updated on Thursday, May 13th 2010)

Do the electrical appliances supplied in a furnished rental property(Jug, toaster, heaters, etc etc), need to be electrically tested and tagged as safe, such as a Rental Holiday home where all appliances are supplied by the owner.

Our Experts Answer:

The Residential Tenancies Act 1986 (the Act) applies to residential tenancies only. It does not cover premises that are let for holiday purposes unless the parties agree to contract back into the Act. Where the Act applies, landlords have an obligation to maintain the premises in a reasonable state of repair, and to ensure that the premises comply with all the relevant health, safety, and building regulations. This means that if a landlord provides appliances as part of the tenancy they are responsible for maintaining them and ensuring they comply with all the relevant regulations. The Electrical Workers Registration Board may be able to provide further advice regarding certification of electrical appliances, and can be contacted on 0800 661 000.

To discuss your situation further, or for advice and information about contracting back into the Act, you can contact the Department of Building and Housing on 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.


Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 2.09
HSBC Special 2.25
ICBC 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
AIA 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.29
SBS Bank Special 2.29
Westpac Special 2.29
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
AIA 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
HSBC Premier 2.89
TSB Special 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
SBS Bank Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43