Earthquake notification

Question from Stephanie updated on 3rd August 2016:

What is a property manager's obligation to both tenant and landlord in the event of an earthquake? For example: If the landlord lives overseas and would not know of minor damage from a smaller earthquake should the property manager notify the landlord to lodge a claim with EQC? 

Our expert Myles Noble responded:

As you will be aware the tenant is required to notify the landlord or letting agent of any damage to the property. Given the large number of earthquakes experienced in both Canterbury and other parts of the country these events have caused anything from no property damage to severe property damage. It would be my recommendation that for any earthquake event the property manager should notify the landlord. This is given the requirement that all claims are notified to EQC within 90 days and also the fact that earthquake damage is not always immediately noticeable.

Myles Noble is head of claims and earthquake response for Crombie Lockwood. He also holds various advisory board positions in the insurance industry.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer