Earthquake compliance concerns

Engakura asks:
(updated on Tuesday, December 03rd 2013)

I have been renting a property in an apartment building for nine months (of a 12 month fixed term lease). However just recently I have found out that the building I am living in is only 12% compliant with the earthquake building standards, the minimum is 33%. The engineers will not be starting on the building until next year. I have also been told that in the event of even a minor earthquake the building could collapse. I am seriously concerned especially in light of the recent events in Christchurch, Do I have grounds to terminate my lease early due to the fact that the building does not meet earthquake safety standards?


Our Experts Answer:

I would suggest that an application to the Tenancy Tribunal be made requesting release from your fixed-term tenancy as this is your only recourse – then the Tribunal can rule on the outcome.

Select Home Loans 4.29
HSBC Premier 4.39
ICBC 4.39
Heartland Bank - Online 4.40
China Construction Bank Special 4.45
SBS Bank Special 4.55
Kainga Ora 4.57
Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 4.75
TSB Special 4.85
AIA 4.85
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.85
Select Home Loans 4.86
Heartland Bank - Online 4.90
TSB Special 4.99
ICBC 5.09
HSBC Premier 5.15
SBS Bank Special 5.19
China Construction Bank Special 5.19
AIA 5.35
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 5.35
First Credit Union Special 5.45
Unity 5.55
Select Home Loans 5.20
HSBC Premier 5.89
ICBC 5.89
SBS Bank Special 5.95
TSB Special 5.99
BNZ - Classic 6.19
Kiwibank Special 6.29
Resimac 6.33
China Construction Bank Special 6.35
Westpac Special 6.39
Kainga Ora 6.43
Select Home Loans 4.09
Heartland Bank - Online 4.10
Pepper Money 4.49
Liberty 4.84
TSB Special 4.89
Kiwibank Special 5.00
ICBC 5.25
Kainga Ora 5.43
Kiwibank 5.50
China Construction Bank 5.50
Kiwibank - Offset 5.50