Dilapidation repair deductions?

Helen asks:
(updated on Monday, August 17th 2020)

Earlier this year I brought an older property which has some issues that were reflected in the price of the electrician, roofing and plumbing (hot water cylinder). With that in mind I did get some painting done in the interior to freshen up for new tenants. Would I be able to claim the painting as an expense for tax? I think the property did have existing items to be remedied. But the painting was the least of them and didn’t factor into my decision when purchasing and price paid.

Our Experts Answer:

Work done on a property post acquisition, but pre tenancy, are known as “dilapidation repairs”. They are not generally tax deductible as they do not relate to wear and tear caused by your tenants but instead are a feature of the state the house was in on acquisition and the capital sum paid for it. The cost of making good the dilapidation matters prior to tenanting the property should be capitalised and accounted for as part of the cost of the property.

Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
ICBC 2.45
Westpac Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.49
BNZ - Classic 2.49
ASB Bank 2.49
ANZ Special 2.49
TSB Special 2.49
HSBC Premier 2.35
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.45
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
Kiwibank Special 2.65
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.69
AIA 2.69
Westpac Special 2.69
HSBC Premier 2.89
SBS Bank Special 2.99
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
Kiwibank Special 3.19
TSB Special 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
ICBC 3.69
Heartland 3.95
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43