Damage claims

Emmeline asks:
(updated on Friday, March 16th 2018)

We had a water leak in our rental property and had to replace the floor. Our tenants advised (much later, once we changed property management companies) that the tradesperson the old management company employed to fix the floor broke the bathroom vanity and glued it back together. The old company refuse to respond to our emails regarding queries raised around this. They also failed to pick up the damaged vanity on two occasions (once after floor was fixed, and after the next routine inspection). Is there any way we could get them to cover the excess on our insurance given their negligence?

Our Experts Answer:

It seems that you have made attempts to contact your previous property manager, and that they are ignoring your e-mails. If you are not talking to each other, you may make a claim against them via application to the Disputes Tribunal. Hearings in this Tribunal are aimed at trying to get the parties to agree on a resolution. However, if you cannot agree the referee will make an order.

Select Home Loans 4.29
TSB Special 4.34
ICBC 4.39
HSBC Premier 4.39
Heartland Bank - Online 4.40
China Construction Bank Special 4.45
SBS Bank Special 4.55
Kainga Ora 4.57
Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 4.75
Kiwibank Special 4.85
AIA 4.85
Select Home Loans 4.86
Heartland Bank - Online 4.90
TSB Special 4.99
ICBC 5.09
HSBC Premier 5.15
SBS Bank Special 5.19
China Construction Bank Special 5.19
Kiwibank Special 5.19
AIA 5.35
Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 5.35
First Credit Union Special 5.45
Select Home Loans 5.20
TSB Special 5.75
Kiwibank Special 5.79
HSBC Premier 5.89
ICBC 5.89
SBS Bank Special 5.95
BNZ - Classic 6.19
Resimac 6.33
China Construction Bank Special 6.35
Westpac Special 6.39
Kainga Ora 6.43
Select Home Loans 4.09
Heartland Bank - Online 4.10
Pepper Money 4.49
TSB Special 4.79
Liberty 4.84
Kiwibank Special 5.00
ICBC 5.25
Kainga Ora 5.43
China Construction Bank 5.50
Kiwibank 5.50
Kiwibank - Offset 5.50