Cover for dodgy work?
(updated on Wednesday, November 20th 2019)
I was only recently made aware that sanitary plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying are regulated industries in New Zealand and that it is illegal to do this restricted work unless authorised by the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board (PGDB).
I've hired a trader to replace roof nails and repaint the roof. I made the payments after he told me he's completed the job but when I did the inspection at the house afterwards I realized he did not do it at all. I tried to contact him through several means but I've had no response at all. He also did a dangerous rangehood install where I had to ask the builder to temporarily fix it.
These are my questions:
1. Is repairing a roof a restricted job?
2. Is installing a rangehood a restricted job too?
3. Am I able to claim insurance for the damages he's made to the house?
4. What can I do to claim my money back for the incomplete job and additional costs associated with these?
Our Experts Answer:
In answer to your questions:
1) I suggest that you check with http://www.ranz.co.nz/ or your local roofing company.
2) I recommend you check Master Electricians at https://www.masterelectricians.org.nz/.
3) Generally speaking, yes, you can claim for the damages as long as it is physical damage and not just a poor or incomplete job. It sounds like an incomplete job but insurance doesn't cover performance in this way; it covers damage. It is, however, important to note that some insurance policies exclude damage resulting from the act of repairing, maintaining or cleaning.
4) You should try to resolve this directly with the tradesperson first and if you do not get a response you should consider filing a claim against the tradesperson with the Disputes Tribunal.
|Heartland Bank - Online||1.99|
|The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special||2.09|
|Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special||2.25|
|The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ||2.29|
|SBS Bank Special||2.29|
|Heartland Bank - Online||2.35|
|SBS Bank Special||2.49|
|The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ||2.59|
|BNZ - Classic||2.59|
|China Construction Bank Special||2.65|
|China Construction Bank Special||2.99|
|BNZ - Classic||2.99|
|SBS Bank Special||3.19|
|The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ||3.19|
|Heartland Bank - Online||2.50|
|Kiwibank - Offset||3.40|
|Select Home Loans||3.49|
|The Co-operative Bank - Standard||4.40|
|The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ||4.40|