Commercial rent arrears

Question from Ruth updated on 13th May 2010:

We have a commercial property (industrial) with a lovely tenant who is refusing to pay his rent and is now at least 3 months in arrears. What are the steps in the procedure of evicting him for non-payment (very sure we won't be paid). If this area is not your area then can you direct me to where to go for clear steps through this procedure. Thanks.

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

The Residential Tenancies Act only applies to tenancies for residential premises, and does not cover commercial leases.  I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a solicitor, or your local community law centre, about terminating a commercial lease agreement.

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.


Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer