Checking tenants

Tracey asks:
(updated on Wednesday, April 18th 2018)

I am just about to rent out my first property and wondered where I can go to get a credit check and Ministry of Justice check on a prospective tenant (after getting their permission of course!)...?


Our Experts Answer:

Several companies and organisations provide tenant vetting facilities. I cannot specifically favour one or another. However, if you do a Google search on “credit check tenant” you will come up with a number of options.

I’m not sure what you expect from a Ministry of Justice check. If you mean a person’s history of convictions, then you can request a Police check from your local Police station. If you mean District Court fines, these are often included in a credit check report.

One useful search is Tenancy Tribunal Orders Online which can show up recent Tribunal disputes involving your prospective tenant. If you think you may need assistance, I suggest you have a chat with a local property manager to see what they can offer.

Heartland Bank - Online 1.99
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special 2.09
HSBC Special 2.25
ICBC 2.25
HSBC Premier 2.25
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special 2.25
AIA 2.29
TSB Special 2.29
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.29
SBS Bank Special 2.29
Westpac Special 2.29
Heartland Bank - Online 2.35
ICBC 2.35
HSBC Premier 2.35
TSB Special 2.49
SBS Bank Special 2.49
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 2.59
BNZ - Classic 2.59
ASB Bank 2.59
AIA 2.59
China Construction Bank Special 2.65
Kiwibank Special 2.65
HSBC Premier 2.89
TSB Special 2.99
AIA 2.99
Westpac Special 2.99
ICBC 2.99
ASB Bank 2.99
China Construction Bank Special 2.99
BNZ - Classic 2.99
SBS Bank Special 3.19
Kiwibank Special 3.19
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 3.19
Heartland Bank - Online 2.50
Resimac 3.39
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40
Kiwibank Special 3.40
Kiwibank 3.40
Bluestone 3.49
Select Home Loans 3.49
ICBC 3.69
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40
Kainga Ora 4.43