Cashflow assurances after earthquake?

Question from ANZAC Landlord updated on 16th August 2013:

Christchurch has had a major earthquake, Wellington has had a major earthquake and Tongariro is rattling. Auckland is not immune, what if Auckland is next? In the event that an earthquake or volcanic eruption makes it necessary for tenants to leave then what insurance do you recommend for landlords to ensure cashflow?

Our expert Diane Nelson responded:

You should always check what your current building insurance covers and talk to your broker to see what you may need as an extension to the policy, if this event affected you. Each policy is different and you should always compare 'apples with apples' before making an informed decision.

Diane Nelson has over 14 years experience as a property manager in the Northland region. She now owns the REAL Landlord Insurance NZ Ltd brokerage and for over six years has specialised in the Landlord Preferred Policy,for investment owners who have their properties professionally managed. Diane also runs property management consultancy business Passionate about Property Management.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer