Boarding house GST

Question from Shawn updated on 13th December 2017:

I'm looking to start a boarding houses business. What I plan to do is to rent large properties from landlords and sublet them (with permission from the landlords) on a room by room basis. Will I be liable for GST on the rent received from this type of business? 

Our expert Mark Withers responded:

Typically, yes. Whilst the supply of accommodation in a dwelling is GST exempt there is a distinction with a commercial dwelling like a boarding house, motel, hotel or hospital. Supply of accommodation in a commercial dwelling is a taxable activity for GST and registration is compulsory if supplies exceed $60000 pa.

Mark Withers and his team at Withers Tsang & Co specialise in advising on property related transactions, valuation and restructure services and tax planning.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer